Just some stuff that’s been filling up my brain:
- I stay up too late at night. It hurts the next day, but I love the quiet time after the kids are in bed. No matter how disciplined I try to convince myself to be, I never go to bed early.
- Getting children out the door for school in the morning is really like herding cats, only more slow-motion. Maybe everyone needs an earlier bedtime.
- I do not want winter to come. Curses to cold weather.
- Natalie and I watch Cupcake Wars together. Yesterday she told me her strategy for making a cupcake for a particular challenge: mixing seaweed with cotton candy flavoring and pulling sugar to make a box car to put on top. She’s 4. I’ll start saving now for culinary school.
- Speaking of saving, I have a lot of great ideas for Christmas gifts this year. Unfortunately, I have no money to buy any of them. That whole thing about “it’s the thought that counts” is totally bogus.
- Yesterday was my mother’s birthday. My mom is a wonderful woman. You should meet her because everyone who does automatically has a better chance of getting into heaven. Happy Birthday, mom. I love you.
- I did something yesterday that I don’t remember ever doing before in my life– JOG for 40 minutes. It wasn’t pretty, and I think I walk faster than I jog. Cue the apocalypse.
- I need to drink more water. Like going to bed early, I’ve been telling myself to do it for years. But I don’t. I’m surprised all my innards haven’t shriveled up by now.
- I really like the Preach My Gospel manual. I’ve been studying it for an ongoing Relief Society activity/class I teach, and it’s been a great way to fuel my scripture study.
- I decided I’m going to start re-memorizing all the scripture mastery scriptures. Between this website and a scripture mastery app for my phone, it’s pretty easy. I’ve only done 1 Nephi 3:7 and 1 Nephi 19:23 so far, plus 2 Nephi 2:25 and D&C 10:5 with my kids, but I’m feeling it.
- Does anyone have a perfect bread machine recipe for whole wheat bread? My sister sent me one, but I’ve ruined it twice. It’s me, not her. Recipes for Dummies are recommended.
- Tuesdays are my crank-out-the-laundry days, which means I get to watch lots of TV while I fold and sort clothes. I’m pretty much all caught up on my shows now, which currently include The Biggest Loser, The Sing-off, Cupcake wars, Sweet Genius, Top Chef: Just Desserts and Chopped. Um, all but one are food shows, mainly desserts. Do you think they cancel out a 40-minute jog? Great.
- I’m in charge of Grant’s Halloween class party, but I delegated out the entire thing, and all I have to do is show up. That rocks. I really did try to help out, but all the volunteers were so dang ambitious, and hey, more power to ’em.
11 thoughts on “Mid-week Mind Dump”
I need to drink more water too, and I absolutely should go to bed earlier than I do. But I’m with you… the quiet is JUST so… quiet.
Hey, I just realized that I have that app. I think this is a great idea and I am going to try also. I memorized Nephi 3:7 this morning. I will keep working on the second one and hopefully have it done by tonight. I love the fact that the app takes away a few words at a time so that you can memorize it easily. Thanks so much for reminding me of it. I probably should start the girls on these too!
There an app for that? Silly question. I’m going to start re-memorizing today! And amen to the more sleep and more water. Good job jogging, too.
I need to brain dump.
Ahh… don’t you just feel better putting it all out there? 🙂
I like the rememorizing idea. That sounds like a good one. I ‘ll put it on my to do list, and hopefully, it won’t get moved to the later list before I actually do it. Whenever I tried being in charge of school parties, I always had a take over mom, and I would always let her do it. It’s just easier that way.
That was fun to read. 🙂 And, I want to know what the app is. I’ve been thinking about memorizing some scriptures again as well (confernece influence; it rocks! ;). Thanks!
So what’s the app?!
I’ll tell you the dorky thing I’ve been doing to drink more water the past week. Dorky, but it works. I set the timer on my phone for a set amount (every hour, or 90 minutes) and as soon as it goes off, chug some water and reset the timer. Ta-Da! I’m good at drinking water in the morning, but not after 11 or so or for the rest of the day. This has been working well.
Do you have a wheat grinder? Here’s what I do…put in your bread maker, in this order: 1 1/3 c warm water, 1 1/2 t salt, 3T vital wheat gluten, 1 T dough enhancer, 3T honey (you can do 2T-5T to taste), 2 T oil, and 3 1/2 cups flour (freshly ground wheat, or bread flour, or any combination of the two). On the top: 1 T yeast. Everything should be at room temp or slightly warmer, except the warm water.
My trick: set it for the dough cycle. When it’s done, stick it in a greased bread pan, and set the oven to 350. When the oven is preheated, put the bread in for 35 minutes.
I’m not a big fan of the bread machine crust or the big hole in the bottom, so that’s what I do and it works well. Good luck. If you want bread making lessons, I can do a girls night. 🙂
Just search in your app store for scripture mastery. And does it matter that I keep the yeast and gluten in the freezer?
I am with you on all of that…except I didn’t even know that The Biggest Loser was on until last night so I am not caught up on all my shows…I hardly ever get to watch TV lately so when I do I have to admit I am catching up on the news (Fox news to be exact), & Decoded (I am really loving that show!). I need to meet your mom because I need all the help I can get. Happy b-day to your mom! I have yet to find a good wheat bread recipe too…I used to (as in before homeschooling because now I don’t have time) drink lots of water and haven’t been lately. I get headaches when I don’t so you think that would make me just drink it already!!! We need to memorize scriptures too. I loved that at Conference when…someone…said something…about a new friend? Something very cool about memorizing scriptures! I guess I need to go back and read my notes…Okay enough brain decluttering (that is my version of your brain dump). Basically just wanted to say: love these kind of posts because I can totally relate. 🙂
Your funny…I also stay up too late and I am a Zombie in the morning. Fortunately my children are all old enough to pretty much get themselves ready but they often need rides…I think I need to go to bed earlier as well. Thanks for sharing Stephanie, this is much better than a reality show. 😀
I do drink enough water but may I just say that it’s incredibly challenging when you are out in public with small children. I have to time my water around errands, etc. It’s complicated.