Well, here we go folks. Let’s get this book club rolling! I thought it would be timely to start off with Elder Holland’s testimony about general conference itself and the Lord’s hand in its messages.
As our conference comes to a close, I ask you to reflect in the days ahead not only on the messages you have heard but also on the unique phenomenon that general conference itself is—what we as Latter-day Saints believe such conferences to be and what we invite the world to hear and observe about them. We testify to every nation, kindred, tongue, and people that God not only lives but also that He speaks, that for our time and in our day the counsel you have heard is, under the direction of the Holy Spirit, “the will of the Lord, … the word of the Lord, … the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation.”
All of the talks from general conference are now available to watch, listen to, or read at this link. The Church also puts out a fantastic highlights video that is a montage of main points from the talks of the First Presidency and Twelve Apostles. So, until the Ensign conference edition arrives in the mail, we can still get a jump on studying these great talks.
To any of you who are new to the General Conference book club, we welcome you and love your insights, comments, and participation. Here’s a link to help newcomers understand how it all “works.” We look forward to a fine discussion in the comment thread below.
Thanks to those of you who participated in the General Conference Trivia Contest, and congratulations to the winner, “An Ordinary Mom.” Here are all the questions, reposted with the correct answers. I tried to link the answers to the talks that they came from.
- Name two of the three new temples that were announced. Fort Collins, CO; Winnipeg, Canada; Meridian Idaho
- Elder Cook told a story about a young woman who misplaced her purse at an activity. Name one of the items that her leaders found in her purse. For the strength of Youth pamphlet, notebook of scriptures, recipe, breath mints, soap, lotion, and a brush.
- Who was Elder Holland referring to when he said “Bedlamites”? children
- Whose grandson blew kisses at the TV when he watched general conference? Russell M. Nelson
- What did the prospector teach the young gold-digger that he was missing while he was looking for gold nuggets? the small flecks of gold
- This conference marked the 75th anniversary of what? Welfare program
- What did the church donate in Japan to help people search for loved ones despite the difficult-to-travel roadways? Scooters
- Finish this phrase from a quoted poem (in general words is fine/main idea). “When sheep go wrong, it won’t take long . . . __________.” It won’t take long till the lambs are as wrong as they.
- Name Elder Richard G. Scott’s belated wife. Jeanene
- President Eyring announced an upcoming, church-wide day of what? Humanitarian service
- Fill in the blank: Desires –> Priorities –> __________ –> Actions Choices
- What was Pres. Uctdorf afraid people might be texting during his talk? that he hasn’t made a reference to aviation yet
- What specific item did Elder Pratt’s Mexican ancestor receive from a wealthy traveler just one week after paying his own tithing? a bag of 100 pesos in silver
- Finish this quote by St. Francis de Asissi: “Preach the gospel at all times, and if necessary, use ____.” Words
- What hymn did Elder Bednar take as a “hint” about his own talk? Have I done any good in the world today
- Only one of the twelve apostles did not speak during general conference. Who was it? (And does anyone know why?) Robert D. Hales, I saw him there on Saturday with a leg brace or something, but I’m still not sure why he didn’t speak.
- What powerful hymn did the tabernacle choir sing right after President Monson’s talk about temples? The Spirit of God
- Elder Grow spoke about a family member who had just passed away after turning around his/her life. Who was it? His younger brother
- Elder Maynes quoted his grandson’s primary talk where he said, “My family is like a ____ (what?).” Rope
- Elder Bednar compared revelation to which two sources of light? Light switch and the sunrise
Matching. Topic —> Speaker
21. Accept and Seek Correction B. Elder D. Todd Christofferson
22. The Church has an obligation to help poor and needy D. Bishop H. David Burton
23. Keep Sabbath Day Holy E. Elder L. Tom Perry
24. Forgive and Let Offenses Go C. President Boyd K. Packer
25. Combat Fears by Strengthening Faith A. Elder Russell M. Nelson