Clark celebrated his fifth birthday this week.
This WAS Clark:
And here he is NOW in all his five-year-old glory:
I think he’s adorable. Here are the five things I most love about my little guy:
- Mischievous smile. He has the cutest grin, with little gapped, square teeth all lining up in a glorious expression of innocent happiness. He always looks like he might be up to trouble, and he probably is. The best way I can explain Clark’s toddlerhood is Curious George.
- His joy. We’ve always joked that Clark is bi-polar, because when he’s mad, boy is he mad (see crying in banner photo above), but when he’s happy, he’s delightful. He has a giggling, bouncing enthusiasm that is contagious.
- His positive attitude. I will always remember the day that was one of my most trying as a mother. Clark began and ended the day with misbehavior, and stayed busy in between. I swear he spent half of it in time out, and I was seriously ready to revoke my own motherhood license. Late in the day, he was reading a book on a chair in the living room while I was doing dishes in the kitchen. I heard him sigh deeply and say, “What a great day.” I learned much in that moment about why we’re supposed to become “as a little child.”
- His generosity. He will always share. This week, he got two Webkinz in the mail as a present from my parents. He opened them up and danced around and cheered for a minute. He handed one to Grant and said, “Here Grant. You can have this one.” This is typical of Clark.
- His gratitude. He voices sincere appreciation for even the simplest things. “Thanks, Mom for letting us eat our snack on the deck!” If you look closely at that train birthday cake, (who am I kidding? You don’t even have to look closely) it is an amateur job by all counts. He asked for a train; I did my best. When Matt came home from work, Clark said, “Dad! Dad! Come see my cake. It’s A-MAZ-ING!” Heh.
Can I add that as I type this, I can hear Clark in the bathroom doing his business and singing out loud, “How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord…”? Priceless. Happy Birthday, Clark. I love you.
9 thoughts on “FIVE things I love about Clark.”
The cake is darling!!! Children are such a blessing and sometimes I wonder how I made it through all of them! Good work Mom.
He is adorable! He was such a chunky little baby. Too cute. Happy birthday to clark!
what a sweet post! He is a cutie!
He is a cutie!!!!! I am *pleased* to say I know him. Fine young man.
and awesome cake! great job!
Happy 5th birthday to Clark! That must mean he starts kindergarten soon. I can’t wait to see a post about you choking up when he gets on the bus…
LOL! Both at the “What a great day” quote, and also at his choice of bathroom song. He’s adorable. (It also sounds like he and my Rose would make an unstoppable team–that no adult would survive.)
Happy birthday, Clark.
What a sweet tribute! Happy Birthday Clark!
What a cutie!!!
Love the cake, or, cakes!