General Conference makes me feel all magnanimous, so let’s have some fun.
Yesterday, a new round of General Conference Book Club kicked off, so make sure you go there sometime this week to weigh in on all your conference favorites and goals. While I watched, I wrote down things that I felt prompted to do or work on, and then I mark them with a star in the margin. Last night, I sat down to make a list of those things, and it filled the front and the back of a sheet of notebook paper. I’m going to be busy the next six months, but I’m so excited about the blessings and growth that will come.
Okay, so a contest. Two contests, actually. They’ll both end on Thursday night and winners will be announced as part of the Find-A-Friend Friday feature on (duh) Friday.
Contest #1 is simply a way to reward yourself for tuning in to conference. Just leave a comment below that declares how many sessions of conference you watched or listened to this weekend. Even one session earns you a shot at the prize. You will earn as many entries as sessions you participated in. I will do a drawing, and the winner will receive a general conference journal that I will customize and make it cool (think handy, not crafty) as a guide to help you think through and write down insights and goals as you study all the talks.
Contest #2 is a trivia contest with various questions taken from the past two days of general conference. Some of the questions are content specific, but many are “trivial” and just for fun– a chance to simply reward your paying attention. As to not give away your answers to others, please email me your answers at dd.stephanie[at]gmail[dot]com. I will collect all of those who tie for the highest score and enter them into a drawing to win one of these two books (your choice):
General Conference Trivia Contest Questions
(p.s. Best if you can do it from memory. I don’t care about “cheating” as long as it only comes from this official conference site or your own notes. I mean, why would I punish you for actually reviewing conference? Any Googling or otherwise hunting down answers is not permitted. Because it’s lame.)
- Name two of the three new temples that were announced.
- Elder Cook told a story about a young woman who misplaced her purse at an activity. Name one of the items that her leaders found in her purse.
- Who was Elder Holland referring to when he said “Bedlamites”?
- Whose grandson blew kisses at the TV when he watched general conference?
- What did the prospector teach the young gold-digger that he was missing while he was looking for gold nuggets?
- This conference marked the 75th anniversary of what?
- What did the church donate in Japan to help people search for loved ones despite the difficult-to-travel roadways?
- Finish this phrase from a quoted poem (in general words is fine/main idea). “When sheep go wrong, it won’t take long . . . __________.”
- Name Elder Richard G. Scott’s belated wife.
- President Eyring announced an upcoming, church-wide day of what?
- Fill in the blank: Desires –> Priorities –> __________ –> Actions
- What was Pres. Uctdorf afraid people might be texting during his talk?
- What specific item did Elder Pratt’s Mexican ancestor receive from a wealthy traveler just one week after paying his own tithing?
- Finish this quote by St. Francis de Asissi: “Preach the gospel at all times, and if necessary, use ____.”
- What hymn did Elder Bednar take as a “hint” about his own talk?
- Only one of the twelve apostles did not speak during general conference. Who was it? (And does anyone know why?)
- What powerful hymn did the tabernacle choir sing right after President Monson’s talk about temples?
- Elder Grow spoke about a family member who had just passed away after turning around his/her life. Who was it?
- Elder Maynes quoted his grandson’s primary talk where he said, “My family is like a ____ (what?).”
- Elder Bednar compared revelation to which two sources of light?
Matching. Topic —> Speaker
21. Accept and Seek Correction
22. The Church has an obligation to help poor and needy
23. Keep Sabbath Day Holy
24. Forgive and Let Offenses Go
25. Combat Fears by Strengthening Faith
A. Elder Russell M. Nelson
B. Elder D. Todd Christofferson
C. President Boyd K. Packer
D. Bishop H. David Burton
E. Elder L. Tom Perry
Have fun! Good luck!
51 thoughts on “General Conference Trivia Contest”
2 on Saturday
1/2 + 1/2 on Sunday
3 sessions 🙂
I’m off to answer the questions.
Technically …. I participated in all four sessions of conference, PLUS (cheated) and watched the priesthood session after it was done. I love watching priesthood session — they have SO much fun there! I love Pres. Eyring’s reference to his childhood home in New Jersey — anyway, when I say participated, I didn’t get to see the whole thing of any of them because I spent much time running children back and forth to the bathroom. (Stomach flu — it’s a killer.)
Anyway, the conference was delightful, and I am going to see how many of the questions I can answer from memory first because we’re going to go back and watch individual talks one at a time to catch up on the ones we missed. Thanks for doing this! (P.S. – I’m printing out this list and sharing it for FHE tonight!)
I watched all 4 session of conference. 🙂
i watched 4. 🙂
I was able to watch all four sessions with my family!
All four sessions! Not that I heard every word. But we tried.
I watched four. Okay, not really. I LISTENED to four. Watching would mean having no children. Which means I didn’t really “watch” per se, but you know what I mean. 🙂
All 4 sessions plus I went to the YW broadcast last week.
I watched 4 sessions, and they were wonderful. I look forward to viewing them again. 🙂
I watched four sessions! Thanks for a fun contest. 🙂
So excited, I just read through your questions and actually knew most of the answers!! I will go through them properly shortly.
I was able to watch all four sessions… parent style. 😉
I also watched all four sessions…haven’t been able to keep my kids occupied long enough to even talk to my husband about priesthood. LOL!
I watched all four. All were so excellent.
I watched all 4 session and I even watched YW Broadcast then on Sunday morning I Priesthood Session on http://www.lds.org. I LOVE CONFERENCE! I needed to relight my fire. It’s helped.
I watched all four! Haven’t watched the priesthood or YW session though.
Am I glad for CLOSED CAPTIONING or what???
As a family we watched all four Conference sessions together. My sweet newly-turned 12 year old twin deacons were touting this morning that they watched all TEN hours of Conference because they were able to attend the priesthood session with their dad. How cute is that?!
Just finished listening to the fourth! So that makes four!
You’ll be able to tell how much I got/missed by my answers to the trivia quiz…
I watched three sessions of conference. I missed the first on because I had to work! (so sad!)
I watched all four sessions! 🙂
Love the trivia questions. Thanks for doing this – so fun!
I watched/listened to 4 sessions.
I watched all four! Even though Saturday afternoon was watched while cleaning the disaster our playroom had turned into over spring break! 🙂
I’m excited to try my hand at the Trivia…
And also? This weekend I am going to Time Out For Women in Minneapolis. For a minute there I forgot you don’t live there anymore and I just knew you’d be going, too. And then I realized and I was very, very sad.
I watched all four sessions. Thanks for the great giveaway!
I also watched all four! I was so inspired by your general conference message that I took notes and was so much more actively involved.
Oh, I’m so glad, Cathy. I struggled a little on Saturday and started panicking that maybe I was a conference hypocrite, but then on Sunday all my answers came. It was awesome.
i was able to watch 3 sessions.
gotta go look through those trivia questions more thoroughly.
thanks for the good you do!
4 sessions. And I think ‘bedlamites’ is the best new word to come out of conference ever.
Watched all 4 and heard about priesthood. Can’t wait to read it!
OK, I lied. I listened to an hour of it when I couldn’t watch.
I was able to watch 3 sessions.
I watched 4 sessions on General Conference plus the Young Women broadcast last week.
3, but I’m off to watch the one I missed. And review some in order to answer your questions of course.
I watched all 4 but got a little distracted with kids and husband on Saturday afternoon. Will have to go back and review the last few that day.
I gladly watched all of conference. All four sessions. Since I’m not a guy I didn’t watch priesthood. Lol. But I did watch almost all of the young woman broadcast before conference startedbon Saturday. I thought it couldn’t Hirt even though I’m not a part of young women. And I was right 🙂 Thank you for sharing you talent for blogging.
I absolutely loved all 4 sessions that I watched. Such a spiritual feast. Just wanted you to know I LOVE your trivia questions.
This is awesome! I’m going to use this in FHE. Thank you – MoSop
I watched 3 1/2 sessions of conference. (I partly listened to the other 1/2 session, at least what I could hear over a sleepy, crying baby) 🙂
Got to watch 4 sessions of Conference 🙂
Watched all of them, minus Priesthood, of course! 🙂
I watched 3 full sessions of conference & part of the priesthood session (when DH comes home & says that it was so great & he stayed awake the whole time . . . I know that I need to watch it) – I love, love love that we can watch it online!
I watched all four, and I’m so all over the answers to those questions!
I’m admitting, in public, that for the first time in years, I only watched two sessions live. I have a really good excuse, but I won’t bore you with the details.
And you’ve inspired me to step it up today. Thank you, my friend!
I watched/listened to chunks of all four sessions. I don’t know what that counts for. Little kids…. Next time I need to prepare waaaaayy beforehand. Your tips in that article were good ideas, but I didn’t read them until Friday night. Room for improvement, definitely.
I did watch all 5 with kid interruptions on a few of them.
I watched/listened to all four sessions. I read through the ?’s and was surprized how many I knew off the top of my head. I’ll have to entry that contest too. 🙂
Watched/listened to all 4 sessions….would love to wake up Monday morning to even more!
I watched all four sessions and since then have watched the priesthood session.
We watched/listened to all 4 sessions — I tried to get them all, but I realized with the questions that there was a lot I didn’t hear (of course, I was also pleasantly happy that there was a lot that I did remember too) … thanks for this!
I watched both Saturday sessions. Sunday, was about to start off a good morning but our 4 year old daughter hit the corner of a wall & got 8 stitches on her forehead that morning so we will now watch via internet. Thank you.
4 (mostly) 😉 Hard to hear some of it over the children!
Since the contest has ended, can I just paste my answers here? I knew I wouldn’t get 100% like your winner, but it was fun anyway.
1. Winnipeg Canada (That’s all I remember)
2. A little hand-sewn coin purse, also a knitting or crochet project she was planning to do for a friend.
4. Elder Nelson
5. Gold dust
6. The Church Welfare program
8. for the lambs to go astray
12. 10 minutes in he hadn’t used an aviation analogy
13. 100 silver coins
15. Hmmm . . . don’t remember. Have I don’t any good?
16. I don’t know which, but I only very recently heard that one can’t attend so that they can’t all be killed at once. Was it Elder Hales this time?
17. The Spirit of God
18. His brother
20. a lamp and . . . hmmm. A candle?
I only know a couple of the matching ones. Apparently I’m much better at details than overviews. 🙂