Yesterday was the last day of school in these-here parts. An exciting time, right? And somehow it turned into another one of those mom’s-expectations-hit-the-fan experiences.
- Happy welcome home from school hugs
- Last day after-school snack: Happy hour at Sonic
- Look through all their fun end-of-the-year papers and awards
- Let kids stay up until 10 pm! for the first day of summer and watch basketball or a movie together
- Get ready for camping (I already ran out and bought $90/worth of fun vacation food)
- Go on a 3-day camping trip as our summer kickoff activity. Ride bikes, hike, cook camp food
- Sit in a lawn chair and read books and work on my talks for EFY next week
- Start preparing the summer “master schedule” that will begin next week.
- Boys dropped backpacks and bags on the garage floor and ran outside to play baseball.
- “Maybe later, mom” at the suggestion of Sonic. Then proceeded to throw baseball bat (at play) and hit my van with it. Time out. Ensuing arguing, crying and continued bad behavior. Missed happy hour.
- They dumped out all their papers in my entryway and wouldn’t pick them up. “That’s not mine.”
- Bedtime at 7:30. I’m done with everyone.
- Watched news and saw weather report: 3 full days of pouring rain.
- Canceled camping trip. Can’t think of a single back-up plan to do in the rain on no budget.
- I guess I’ll have to prepare my talks with three cabin-fevered children.
- Dang it. I need the summer schedule now, but I still haven’t thought through it all the way because I thought I still had time.